Sunday, March 30, 2014

To Dad, from Jon


                                                                 Like father, like son....
                             The following letter was given to my Dad, 9 days before his death.





Dear Dad,
I write to you to express feelings which in this family are largely left unspoken, 
so much so that I sometimes think we are descended of Greek Stoics rather 
than Russians, Germans and Poles. I give voice to these words now because 
wish you to know how I feel.

You and I shared many a disagreement when I was younger. You saw the world 
one way and I another and neither of us was going to concede the other right. 
I have found, with frequent bemusement, that as I grew older, you seemed to grow 
smarter and wiser. And as I have forged my own path through this life, I often see 
your wind-worn footprints in the dust, just ahead of me.

I can say with certainty that in my 52 short years on this planet I have never once
encountered a man as steadfast as you. The temptations and ill behavior of this
world have never held sway over you. You have never seen fit to steal from others, 
disrespect your wife, belittle your children, mistreat anyone, act with violence, bear a 
grudge, or be dishonest for any reason. Indeed, you even saw fit to befriend a former
business colleague whose dealings once cheated you of a great sum. You always 
seem to act out of a simple willingness to help others whenever it is in your power to 
do so. You have been every bit, in every word, every thought, and every deed, a good
man, honest and true. And that is the best damn thing you can say about any man.

The chosen path of your journey requires a moral compass that seems largely gone 
from this world now. Despite the inequities and temptations of this life, you managed to provide for your family and helped raise four mostly good men to carry on your good 
name and the good name of your father. Your example has always given me the 
guidance I need in my quest to be the best person I can be. Admittedly I am not there yet; 
some would say I have a good distance to go for you have given me much to live up to.

I love you, Dad. You have bequeathed to me riches of spirit that I can never repay and 
only hope to pass on to my own children. I am grateful to have had you for my father
and I am honored to know you as a man.

love,



~jon

1 comment:

Speak your mind.....