Friday, March 19, 2010

Letters to the Dead: From Anonymous

 I don't even know what to say and I guess that is fitting as I never knew what to say when you were alive either. I wish you were here still. Mom needs you. She always has. The kids need you. I need you although I am not sure how.  But then I didn't know how I needed you in life either.  I am stuck despite the 10 years since your death and I can't process the loss of you; except that your death was traumatic for me.  Traumatic in ways that I didn't understand, don't understand and most likely never will.

I have Daddy issues and you didn't create them , but your death didn't help any. My husband is a lot like you.  Sometimes I get angry because he doesn't fix things that break in the house. As a child, I remember being angry with you because you didn't fix stuff around the house either. I never wanted to marry a guy who wouldn't fix things.  Little did I know your good qualities were much more important, like your sense of humor, loyalty, and being a good dad.

My husband reminds me more of you than of the other one.  It is frustrating that even in death, I can't tell you I love you.  The greatest man.  Maybe I am angry because I would love nothing more than to have a father that cherished me as a daughter and a woman and I only got to experience it from a stilted comfortable distant for such a short time.  I think I always wanted you to reach out and tell me how much you loved me.  Even now I am not so sure you loved me that much. I was terrified that you would love me as little as my real dad. I wanted to tell you that I loved you, but the fear would never let me. Now that your gone, I'll never hear those words from you or say those words to you. The greatest man.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind.....