Saturday, March 20, 2010

From: Wendy



Dear Dad,

I'm sorry I didn't say goodbye, not having the courage to see you so ill and face the harsh reality of the situation has haunted me every day for nearly 16 years. Everyone tells me that you adored me and that I was Daddy's Girl from the start. I have to rely on the stories and memories of others because I have none of my own. I was so successful at burying the painful memories of my childhood that I've buried the good ones as well.

There are several pictures of you in the house, but my favorite is in the kitchen where I spend much time. You are smiling and look so happy. Every time I think of you that is the image that comes to mind.

I went to the cemetery (again) a few months ago, but that has always felt so staged and unnatural. Your shell may be there but YOU aren't. Writing this letter (while prompted and invited) feels so much more organic. Maybe this is what I was supposed to have done all along.

I'm sorry you suffered while on this earth. I hope wherever you are now is filled with joy and laughter. Most of all, I hope there is a window to me, so that my Daddy can still watch and see his little girl. I hope you're proud of the person I've become.

I love you,
Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind.....